Our friend and chef/owner Michael Cherney at peasants FEAST in Solvang, California, is at it again! This time, he's sharing his extra juicy (and cheesy) recipe for National Cheeseburger Day on September 18.
The Grotto Burger is a 6 oz. custom blend of house ground beef, Stepladder Creamery Big Sur triple crème goat and cow milk cheese, Wolfe Family Farms roasted mushrooms, roasted garlic aioli and crispy shallots all on a lightly toasted sesame brioche bun.
Get the recipe below to try and recreate it at home, or stop by peasants FEAST restaurant this week through September 19 to try this limited release burger, while supplies last.
The Grotto Smash Burger from peasants FEAST
- 2 ea Sesame Brioche Bun (we get ours from a local Santa Ynez Valley bakery, The Baker's Table)
- 2 ea 6oz double house ground beef patties (ours is a custom blend of chuck, short rib and brisket – first ground through the course dial, then ground through the fine dial – formed into 6oz balls)
- 1 ea Big Sur Cheese cut in 4 slices
- 4 oz Cooked Mixed Mushrooms (we use local, organic mushrooms from Wolfe Family Farms/Gold Coast Mushrooms – its usually a mix of blue or black oysters, shitake, chestnuts, king trumpet…..cooked in a sauté pan with a little oil, salt, pepper and finished with minced shallots)
- 4 oz Roasted Garlic Aioli (house made mayonnaise with lemon juice and roasted garlic purée)
- 4 oz Crispy Shallots (thinly slice shallots, coat with seasoned corn starch – fry at 275 degrees until light golden brown and crispy)
Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Once smoking, pour a small amount of cooking oil, place the “burger ball” on the oil, smash down with spatula as hard as you can. It should be as flat as possible. Season with salt and pepper. Once a nice crust is formed, flip it. Add two slices of Big Sur Cheese, top with cooked mushrooms. Once the meat has reached the desired doneness, remove from pan. Let rest on a wire cooling rack.
While the meat is resting, cut the brioche bun in half, roll in melted butter and toast on medium heat.
- Place 1 ounce of roasted garlic aioli on both the top and bottom bun
- Place the rested burger, topped with Big Sur and Mushrooms on the bottom bun
- Add crispy shallots, place on the top bun and enjoy!
Photo by Linda Chaja Photography