As typical Californians, we LOVE avocados and incorporate them into our diet as often as possible (aka basically daily). We're very fortunate because we have 40 acres of avocado orchards on the Stepladder Ranch & Creamery property where we grow seven varietals of avocado.
Most of the 40 acres contains the Hass variety, although we have a few acres of other varieties including Nabal, Queen, Fuerte, Bacon, GEM and Sir Prize. The avocado season goes from March through November. We use no herbicides on the farm ever, and hand cultivate and mow all of our weeds.
These are some of the freshest and purest available, so naturally, we feature in most of our recipes including the brunch/lunch staple, avocado toast.
This recipe is pretty simple, but packed with flavor. If you want an alternate version, we also recommend adding a dollop of Marinated Fromage Blanc and the olive oil marinade to elevate your avo toast to a new level! Simply spread some of the cheese on the toast along with the avocado and drizzle with some of the marinade as the finishing touch!
Stepladder avocados are available seasonally at select farmer's markets throughout California.
- 1 slice of wheat bread
- 1 Stepladder Ranch Avocado
- 1 Radish
- ½ Cucumber
- Flakey salt
- Goat horn chili
- Toast bread until golden brown.
- Mash 1 whole ripe avocado on toasted bread. Leaving some smaller chunks for texture.
- Spread the avocado ‘coast to coast’ - IE over the whole slice of bread.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and goat horn chili all over the mashed avocado.
- Thinly* slice the cucumber and place 1 layer of the slices on top of the mashed avocado.
- Thinly* slice ½ a radish and layer on top of the cucumber.
- Pinch of salt, pepper, and goat horn chili to top it off!
*Pro tip: using a mandolin really helps make your cuts perfect and super thin.